could you live at cielo drive post murders

Discussion in 'Cielo Drive' started by Thewheel, Aug 24, 2012.

1. martine Well-Known Member

Absolutely no disrespect intended towards David Oman here, but didn't all of this paranormal activity that he reported at his home, which wasn't even built in 1969, coincide with his trying to release the movie he made loosely based on the murders, "The House at the End of the Drive?"

I, myself believe in paranormal activities. I have even experienced a few, especially when we returned to Glasgow, Scotland, my husband's home. A lot of strange goings-on there. But the whole David Oman thing --- sorry, but I'm a little skeptical.

I know that I felt very anxious when I visited Cielo in 1992, and that I felt some very strange energy while walking up the street towards the gate, but it may just have been my imagination playing tricks on me with the knowledge that I have about this case.
    Shanndie likes this.
  2. AlisaStatman Active Member

I understand and respect the opinion of those of you who believe that me living at the Cielo house was a morbid act so I’m not here to sway anyone’s opinion, just to state mine.

As I’ve said in previous interviews, if walls could talk, surely the Cielo walls should have been screaming…But, they weren’t.

I can’t begin to explain it, but the moment you drove through the gates there was an overwhelming, peaceful easy feeling that was felt by all those who came to visit me. And for me, that feeling out-weighed the past atrocities.

When I first told my friends I was moving there, they all said they’d never visit. But, one by one they did, and once they did, they too fell in love with the place and I couldn’t get rid of them. People would come by for drinks and stay for days. There was never a weekend when I didn’t have a full house. Some parties were small, others were big with a live band and catering.

After the first year, it became the traditional place for us all to gather for the holidays. No one talked about or thought about the murders. I didn’t realize it until one Thanksgiving dinner when a friend said a short prayer for the victims, but there was an unspoken respect for all those who had died there.

If Altobelli is to be believed in quoting Sharon as saying Cielo was her love house, then I can totally understand it because I believe that feeling was there before and after the murders. And, I honestly believe that this too was the feeling that Altobelli felt and why he hung on to the house for so long.

I also spent many nights alone on the property and I’ve never felt more secure and safe as I was there. There wasn’t a single incident that I would consider a haunting—no apparitions, no voices, no footsteps, no creaking floors, no eerie feelings. And, not a single electrical item turned on without hitting the switch. I like to think that the victims have way better things to do than hang around scaring strangers such as myself or David Orman.

The scariest thing was returning to the house while Nine In Nails was subleasing it. I was between films and climates so I stopped by one night (my stuff was in storage above the garage) to change out my clothes. That night, they were shooting one of the music videos and everything was draped in black curtains—the walls, windows and doors along with a bloody crucifix. Even more disturbing, people were walking around with copies of Helter Skelter and pinpointing the places where the bodies were found. The vibe (so to speak) was really bad, but it was created by those of this world not the other. It was so bad that before I moved back in, I had the house spiritually cleansed.

I will never regret living there, and I like to think that there was a bit of fate involved—had I not moved into Cielo, I would have never met Patti.
  3. martine Well-Known Member

Beautifully said Alisa.

That's why I said what I did. When I went up there in July 1992, the feelings I had of nervousness and anxiety were more coming from me knowing what I do about the case rather than any real issues with the property.

I know what you mean about NIN and Trent Reznor being there. There is that videotape of a walk-thru the property where they are walking through the living room and pointing to where Sharon took her last breaths. In my opinion, Reznor knew exactly what had happened at Cielo even though he claims he didn't. You would have had to have fallen off the face of this earth to not know, especially given that Marilyn Manson was in on the recording of Downward Spiral and we all know where Marilyn Manson's name comes from.

He exploited the notoriety of the property as far as I am concerned.
    slipaway, mother62 and Leigh like this.
  4. elanorrose New Member

Wonderful info Alisa!
  5. Leigh Active Member

Thanks for the great reply, Alisa. It's good that a sense of normalcy and peace can seemingly be restored even to a place with such a dark history. Fevered imaginations can really perpetuate the darkness. I don't think living on the property would be morbid in and of itself - the old house and surrounding environs were truly beautiful. I think any issues I'd hypothetically have with living there would be down to my own psychology. As I said, I can't even go to sleep at night in my own home without checking that the doors and windows are locked each night, so I'd be downright paranoid at Cielo when the sun went down. It's not paranormal activity I'm afraid of, though; it's human beings and what disturbed minds are capable of. I don't think people who might venture up to the property as harmless curiosity-seekers would be problematic; the people I'd be concerned about are those who might venerate Manson and the crimes somehow and show up to the property for that reason. It doesn't seem like that happens (or did happen) very often, if at all, which is good.

The NIN thing would really disturb me. Reznor spoke like he'd come to his senses after encountering Patti. I hope she gave him a lot to think about.
  6. elanorrose New Member

After reading a few responses I have to agree with another reason...i'd also be terrified of Manson-followers coming to the house, & wanting to re-create history or something similar. Scary thought.
  7. Leigh Active Member

Sorry if any of my paranoia has rubbed off on you, elanorrose...though as a general rule I'd rather be paranoid than naive.
  8. elanorrose New Member

Definitely not Leigh! :) Just gave me more reasons to think about why I would not be able to live there! Too much has happened.
  9. Eddy Guest

I would have lived there for sure. At that time I couldn't have afforded it though Alisa so I'd have just rang you up day before Thanksgiving and told you I was bringing a homemade pumpkin pie and a good bottle of wine to help celebrate.
  10. AlisaStatman Active Member

You know, I've seen this before, and it really bums me out because he was completely insensitive to the entire tragedy and I am absolutely positive that Reznor and Patti's paths never crossed.

And, I'm not trying to trash the guy because he's actually kinda nice and normal in a one on one situation, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that he not only leased that house knowing the history, but actually sought it out because of the history. The owners were not advertising a lease on the place it was Reznor's agent who contacted the owners while Reznor was still in Louisiana and made them a ridiculously high offer to rent it for six months as a home/recording studio for their CD. As it would turn out, I was leaving town for two back to back films and would be gone 5 of those 6 months so I was happy not to have to pay rent. Again, not trying to trash him, I just think that if you're going to pull a publicity stunt to get your music into the mainstream, then for goodness sake, own up to it.
  11. Leigh Active Member

Completely agree, Alisa. I always assumed it was without question that the house was sought by Reznor because of the history - I didn't realize that he ever attempted to dispute it. As Martine pointed out, he was friends with Marilyn Manson, who took his name from Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson. Transparently exploiting this kind of thing seems to be the stock and trade for "shock rockers" (no offense to those who may enjoy their music) and its seems disingenuous at best that he'd try to construe the situation and his own motivations for living there otherwise.

I think I read about this alleged encounter with Patti from the mouth of Reznor himself - he gave an interview some years ago (it's been posted on some of the TLB sites) and said Patti asked him something like, "Are you living in my sister's house to exploit her death?" which apparently made him feel bad and re-examine his fascination with Manson or whatever. I was hoping that had been genuine on his part, and that she'd made a real impact on him. Maybe not...
    martine likes this.
  12. Endoracat Moderator

Hi Alisa - How did you spiritually cleanse the house? I've never heard of that.
  13. AlisaStatman Active Member

I don't know the specific term for spiritual house cleanser, but she was a friend of a friend. It was done with sage and holy water inside. Outside, sage and blessed medallions of St. Michael and Benedict were buried in the four corners of the property.

It's been many, many years, but if my memory serves me it's like working from an epicenter of a circle outward. So the sage, (supposedly hated by negative energy) is used to push the negative energy outward from the interior of the house, the holy water is then used as a cross on each threshold, window (any opening) of the house to keep the negative energy from re-entering, then moving to the exterior, more sage to push the negativity even further out and finally, the medals at the four corners forms a protective barrier to keep it out.
    BohemianMuse and mother62 like this.
  14. Denis W Member

I would definitely have lived there. It was a beautiful, gorgeous place and the view was outstanding. I once visited -- a friend and I drove up there and happened upon someone (don't know who -- a middle aged man) who was right behind the (open) gate. After a few minutes of talking he allowed us to come onto the property. While we did not go inside the house, that view was just astounding!

I wonder, though, about all the countless people (like me!) who made pilgrimages up to Cielo. Alisa, were you bothered by strangers milling around up there? I'm sure the neighbors get tired of it too.

Off topic, but I am disgusted with whoever tore down Falcon's Lair. That was my second reason for visiting the canyon, to see Valentino's home. Now it is gone too.
  15. AlisaStatman Active Member

Denis W likes this.
  16. martine Well-Known Member

Honestly, I can't see Patti seeking Reznor out to ask him such a question, but yes, I did read that too. He alluded to the fact that she found him and confronted him.
  17. Leigh Active Member

The cynic in me wonders if he just made up the encounter with Patti because hindsight is 20/20 and it eventually dawned on him that exploiting the whole thing was really gross, or because he was trying to re-shape his image, and the story would have a bigger emotional wallop if it were Sharon's sister herself who awakened his dormant conscience. Far be it from me to question the inner mechanics of a man I've never met and know nothing about, though. Who knows...
    Eddy likes this.
  18. Eddy Guest

I bet you got it right on Leigh. Wise thoughts on this. And if this in fact the case then he should have felt like an asshole. That whole CD was horrible and satanic sounding to me. I heard it once and it bothered me and the names of the songs on there as well. It was total exploitation of a most horrible tragedy.
    BohemianMuse likes this.
  19. elanorrose New Member

Reznor made a statement about working in the Tate house during a 1997 interview with Rolling Stone:
    While I was working on Downward Spiral, I was living in the house where Sharon Tate was killed. Then one day I met her sister. It was a random thing, just a brief encounter. And she said: 'Are you exploiting my sister's death by living in her house?' For the first time, the whole thing kind of slapped me in the face. I said, 'No, it's just sort of my own interest in American folklore. I'm in this place where a weird part of history occurred.' I guess it never really struck me before, but it did then. She lost her sister from a senseless, ignorant situation that I don't want to support. When she was talking to me, I realized for the first time, 'What if it was my sister?' I thought, 'Fuck Charlie Manson.' I went home and cried that night. It made me see there's another side to things, you know?[2]
    mother62 likes this.
  20. p70 Banned

i could live there it wouldnt worry me its just a state of mind